Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Walking Pregnant

I
To dive into that puddle and 
drown upwards 
into the treetops reflected in it.

II
Abundance of acorns on a two mile trail:
slender red with brown hats
bearded brown old men
dark green, squatty ones with pale green stripes
and original recipe. 

III
A sprig of white flowers 
between my ear and headphone.

IV
Pockets gradually bulge:
First a fragrant, green-husked black walnut
Then a cluster of spiky white wildflowers.
A branch of red berries and lush green leaves.
Buckeye.  Two more walnuts.
Empty spaces in memory of the seed pods 
My tired thighs did not have the energy squat down and retrieve.  

V
I smile twice at the man in the orange shirt.
His teeth are joyful.
And nod approvingly at a 
very well trained
collie.  

VI 
So many fallen trees have left their marks on the pavement.
I want to walk barefoot over the ghost white hickory nuts
And the sharp shells that litter the path;
Relish them digging into the flesh of my feet.




No comments:

Post a Comment