Thursday, May 22, 2014

Thirty Two

When "22" came out last year, I had a little soft spot somewhere under the shell of my scaly heart that liked the song.  I mean, I remember feeling the way Taylor Swift describes in some of those lyrics.
I don't know about you, but this ain't coo-ool
I wish I had more sense back when I was twenty two.
But tomorrow I will be 32.  Ten years older, wiser, and better looking than I was before.  So I was thinking, what would this song sound like from the perspective of a 32 year old.  Are you ready?

Oh, before you read, you might want to refresh your memory of the melody, just in case it wasn't burned into your eardrums last summer.  

Thirty Two - lyrics by HBL

It feels like a perfect night to dress up in sweatpants
And talk about toddlers, uh uh uh uh
It feels like a perfect time for breakfast and NPR,
To love our spouses, uh uh uh uh
Yeah
We're happy, stressed, fullfilled, and busy at the same time,
It's exhausting but it's magical, oh yeah,
Tonight's the night when we forget our 401k.  It's time uh oh.

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 32,
Everything will be alright as we bid our youth adieu,
You don't have time for "me," but I bet you want to,
Everything will be alright if we keep planning like we're 32

....

The rest of the lyrics mention things like Lasik, always thinking about food, expanding waistlines, soothing nightmares and falling asleep in your children's beds.   They're not as rhythmically polished.  Besides, I shouldn't post them all just in case I go on tour some day.  Ha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment