Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Let go

When I wrote earlier about how I feel like there are some things I no longer struggle with, being perfect feels like one of them.  I don't know if I ever honestly felt like I had to be "perfect," but my standards are high.  I'll own that.  I hit a breaking point last fall in terms of my expectations and standards, in terms of how life was going.  I screwed up some big deal things and just had to accept it and move on.  There were other disappointments, too.  And it was okay.  As I was working through all of that, though, I would write myself encouraging notes.  What I like about this is the blank star that I imagined was someone else finding the right words for me.  It was like wishful thinking that those words, whatever they were, would be spoken to me and I would hear them.  And the last line at the bottom, too.  "I just want someone to take care of me."  

I know that prayer and time and self-examination over years have helped me get where I am now.  It feels good here.  And I like the way I remind myself to stay grounded in my priorities.  That's been 
transformative.  It started with Merlin Mann's question "Is this really what you want to be doing?" and the idea of protecting your brain (I think he termed it being a good daddy for your brain, actually).  I added questions to help in that  process.  One I ask myself many mornings: "What's the most important thing?" and also repeating Ad majorem Dei gloriam as a reminder to myself. 
All these little tricks scrolling by on the bottom of my brain like a ticker tape.  

Be good! Live well!  For Him!  Just once!  Short life!  Love!  Love!  Love!  Grow!  Breathe!  Do!  Trust Your Heart!  Act!  Love!  Be!   

No comments:

Post a Comment