Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Daniel Chapter Three

In vs 1 Nebuchadnezzar tries to suggest his plan is greater than God’s vision or God’s plan because instead of just a gold head, he has the entire statue made of gold.  He only wants to see the idealized version of himself, not look at himself the way God sees him.  He doesn’t acknowledge that God has a plan for him, but only wants to see what he wants to happen.  In what ways do we do this and why is it dangerous?  How can it lead to pain for us later?


Verses 13-15 It’s one thing for the men to stand up when they’re lost in a crowd, but once they are called out and directly questioned, they still stand their ground, together, and don’t wuss out in the face of harsh punishment.  Why is it easier to do God’s will and live out his commands privately than it is to do it when we’re being called out or questioned?  How can we strengthen ourselves in this regard?


Remembering how God came through for Daniel with the dream in Chapter 2 probably helped them be stout-hearted.  Too often, we look at where we fall short or where we feel were are lacking follow through or answers from God.  How might we change if, instead, we focused our memories and attention on all the ways we have been strong and all the ways He has come through for us?


These guys don’t have if/then thinking (we’ll obey if we get what we want, etc.)  They say something more like if/and.  Their faith is not conditional on what they’ll get in return nor is it conditional on what they’ve already received.
This is Old Testament, too!  How much more powerful is it for us now that we’ve been promised salvation?!  Ultimate salvation?!


According to Guzik:  “In our day, many do love Jesus and think highly of Him-- yet they are far from God because they also love and worship the world, sin, and self.  Do not love the world or the things in the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  (I John 2:15)


I struggle with this because I find that I often connect to God through the world.  What checks are there so I can make sure my balance is right?


One idea for a question I could ask myself is: Is _______ (whatever worldly thing is on my mind) usurping the importance of God in my life?  Distracting me from Him?  Replacing time and devotion to Him?  Is it something I'm using for numbing myself in some way?  If it’s taking away from my focus on God, it’s probably bad.  If it’s adding, it’s good. So my gardening obsession isn't a bad thing if a)it's tempered and moderate and b) I use my garden time to grow closer to God, praying, marveling at His creation, and allowing stillness to enter my heart so He can speak words to it that are easier for me to hear.


Another take away from this chapter: Small challenges prepare us for greater challenges.


19-23
Interesting that it took men of valor to throw them into the furnace.  Not just anyone was willing to do it OR Nebuchadnezzar knew that some of his people would resist and he needed to order valorous ment to do it to show the observers that their faith in him unwavering.  Again we see the contrast between Nebuchadnezzar and God.  Nebuchadnezzar gets obedience through threats, death, and fear.  God offers deliverance and life, even after we disobey.


I like that the furnace could function as a metaphor for sin in general.  It can’t leave its mark on us if we are singing with Jesus.  It can’t even leave its stink on our bodies. To complement this, ol' worldly Nebuchadnezzar is the one who ordered them thrown into "sin."


29- Nebuchadnezzar makes a proclamation in favor of the God of the Hebrews, which is a pretty big deal that he’s now changing his mind and humbling himself after all this was about refusing to worship false gods in the first place.  


Guzik connects it to 2Corinthians 3 when Paul writes:
1 Are we beginning to acommend ourselves again? Or do we need, as some, bletters of commendation to you or from you?
2 aYou are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men;
3 being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, 1acared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit ofbthe living God, not on ctablets of stone but ondtablets of 2ehuman hearts.
4 Such aconfidence we have through Christ toward God.


I just love the idea of thinking of ourselves as a letter from God to the world.  Because LETTERS ARE THE BEST!!!  

 What kind of letter to the world were Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego?  What about Daniel?

This last part is most definitely going to be something I journal on more later:

What kind of letter do I want my life to be?  What would my letter say so far?  What else do I want it to say?

Now there's a killer prompt for my vision/dream board project!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment