Monday, January 5, 2015

Mixes

I wrote this yesterday and it didn't post for some reason:

Made my first mix in way too long.  Feels hecka good. 

If you can figure out which song the toddlerly misheard lyrics "boog it in, right dere right dere/ are you compta bowl, right dere right dere" go with, you win a special prize.

Making mixes for the kids dancing requires a different approach than making a mix for another person.  You have to play with the momentum so it's crazy early on and then starts calming down so the back half of the disk allows everyone to mellow out.

And it was a success:  it resulted in a pretty brutal table crash and head injury by track five.

I took the tinsel off the tree tonight, but first I took some pictures of the glowy goodness:


"Walking to New Orleans" by Fats Domino makes me feel some type of way.   And by that, I mean I start to get a lump in my throat.  Those pizzicato strings holding rhythm like tip toes... 

The accusation that I am not grateful fills me with a sort of aggressive gratitude.  If you've never experienced aggressive gratitude, I recommend it.  

So here are some slices of life whose praises I sing tonight:

Shallots, who make my artichoke, smoked fish, balsamic white pizza just that extra level of delicious.

My fresh herbs, because while they do not exist right now, when I make a pizza like that and know that it would be soooo good with some fresh basil too, I feel grateful that in a few more months I'll have fresh basil all over the place.

(Can you be grateful for something that hasn't happened yet?  Stupid question.  The answer is YES).

My gloves with mitten flip tops, whose colors perfectly match my high school gloves and whose rainbowiness I do so enjoy.

Doing laundry.  It's my favorite chore by far (probably because it's the easiest and one of the most sensual-- smells, textures, temperatures, colors!)

The little tags on my sheets that say "side" and "top/bottom" because when I see "top/bottom" I have to mentally recite all of the flavor pairs of quarks.  It's become a bit of an OCD thing, but I'm fairly certain reciting quark flavors is a harmless manifestation.  

I miss physics.  Probably forgot almost everything, but I miss learning about it and playing with the ideas and the names.  I like the words in physics and chemistry.  Centrifuge, velocity, Semi-micro qualitative analysis, titration, and so forth.  Biology didn't light me on fire, except for adenosine triphosphate.  Pop!

So I'm saying I'm grateful for physics.  And quarks.  And string theory.  And for the parts of Elegant Universe that I read and for Golden Charlie for recommending it and for Golden Charlie for finishing it.  

I'm thankful for great books.  Like Carter Beats the Devil.  It's been sitting beside my bed for two weeks waiting for me to transcribe the rest of my favorite lines, but there are so many that I have shied away from that task.  What a delightful problem to have!

I'm thankful for unimpressively written, chatty girl books because they make me feel less embarrassed about my own writing.  

I'm thankful for Pablo Neruda.  I like things that confuse me when they stay on a piece of paper... but not so much when they can stare me in the face. 

OH, and I may have started a new song addiction.  Listened 4 times in 20 minutes... So I'm grateful for that, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment