Monday, February 9, 2015

Soil

The garden is in my blood.  Cold temps and snow today but I can feel the earth under that snow starting to awaken.

And the words start scrolling through my mind.  A marquee:

Polygonatum, Gypsophilia, Achillea, Galium Odoratum (which is already getting ready!), Brunera, and so on til full bloomage and overflowing vases.

I'm hungry for hands in the dirt and the senselessness of nail polish.  I'm on flowers now, but soon it will be the edibles and the daydreams, again, to build containers that will probably never materialize.  And wondering exactly how many cubic yards of dirt I ought to order this time around.  Mmmdirt.  Oh man and peas-- planting them on time this year!  And the carrots, too.  In a better place.  And more clever radishes.  Oh and this year the ox eye daisies will bloom!!!!!!  They've taken well to the side of the house.

Ah, the ranunculus dreams... foolish ranunculus dreams.  But I still want to try again.  That last attempt was only so half hearted.

Mmmmsoil.  I can't wait to retire and let this take up more of my life.  And I'm excited to teach my children about it in the mean time.


No comments:

Post a Comment